The Children in Care Council (CiCC) is made up of young people aged 10-16 who are in care and being looked after by West Sussex County Council. The CiCC gives young people the chance to have their voice heard about the services that affect them.
The CiCC's activities include:
- working with those who provide their services, such as social care and the Corporate Parenting Panel
- sharing their experiences and giving their views
- helping inspect services for children and young people
- developing young people’s skills through team building and activity days.
- Creating our termly newsletter for all young people in care letting them know what we’ve been up to, and news that affects them.
- Working with professionals, young people in care and the Corporate Parenting Panel on our campaign 'Treat us the same', to reduce stigma and difference for young people in care.
- Meeting with the Head of the Virtual School each term to improve services.
- Reviewing tools and resources used by supervising social workers with foster carers.
- Developing new promotional material for the Advocacy team.
- Meeting with the Looked After Nurse team and developing the 'My Health Care Summary'.
- Working with the Independent Review Service to introduce contact cards, and improving young people’s experience of the service through a questionnaire.
- Meeting with the Cabinet Member for Children and Young People to let him know our thoughts on being in care and hearing about his role to improve it.
- Helping to design the new Children and Family Engagement Strategy.
- Developing and redesigning the pre-review questionnaire.
- Meeting with West Sussex Safeguarding Children Partnership.
- Organising and presenting at the EPIC Awards - an award ceremony to recognise the achievements and talent of young people in care and care leavers in West Sussex.
- Working on our campaign to highlight stereotypes and stigma affecting children in care.
- Summer 2020 newsletter (PDF, 392KB)
- Spring 2020 newsletter - Symwriter edition (PDF 313KB)
- Spring 2020 newsletter (PDF, 858KB)
Care leavers group
The Care Leavers group is separate to the CiCC and gives opportunities to young people, who receive support from the Leaving Care Service. These young people contribute to service design including the delivery of local and national policies for Care Leavers.
Care leavers also help with training courses and represent Children Looked After (CLA) young people in West Sussex on the National Care Leavers Benchmarking Forum and the All Party Parliamentary Group for Children in Care and Care Leavers.
Find out more
You can find out more by reading our blogs or using the links below.Read our Children in Care Council blog (Wordpress) (external link) Read our Care leavers blog (Wordpress) (external link)
If you are interested in getting involved with the CiCC use the contact details below.