1 What support is available?
When a child has complex health needs or multiple disabilities there may be a large number of people providing support and services for them.
Children and Family Centres can support to bring together parents, carers and practitioners from health, education, social care and the voluntary sector to:
- coordinate services as early as possible through a key-working approach
- make sure everyone involved is aware of the overall needs of the child and the family
- reduce the need for parents or carers to explain their situation more than once.
We can support families with children who:
- have a complex or multiple needs relating to their learning or physical development that are persistent and ongoing
- have a West Sussex County Council boundary home address (including looked after children)
- are receiving, or are about to receive, multi-agency input from two or more targeted services.
2 Where to go for help
Children and Family Centres staff can:
- help with information about local services and activities for parents of children with disabilities or additional needs
- help you access specialist toys through our sensory toy libraries
- give advice on benefits you may be entitled to.
In some centres specialist therapies are offered by health partners and may be available. Some centres also have hearing loops and all are wheelchair accessible.
Some of our Children and Family Centres run Early Years hubs to make it easier for families with children under 5 with SEND to access advice, guidance, services and activities at one convenient location.
All Children and Family Centres host a 'Play and Learn' group and each hub hosts a Play and Learn ‘Plus’, full of opportunities for your child to explore and learn through play. It is also a chance for you to meet other parents and carers.
Sensory play equipment is available during the sessions and many have a sensory area you can use.
Our hubs are located in:
- Bognor Regis
- Boundstone (Lancing)
- Durrington (Worthing)
- East Preston
- Langley Green (Crawley)
- Sidney West (Burgess Hill)
Request support at your local centre: Find a Children and Family Centre (including Early Years hubs)