You may be eligible to County Council help with transport costs to school, sixth form college or college of further education if you:
- are a student of sixth form age with special educational needs and/or disabilities
- live in West Sussex.
Normally this will mean that you will have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan.
The County Council does not normally offer help with transport for Post-16 students who do not have special educational needs and/or disabilities.
For full information, read our Transport Policy.
The contribution for academic year 2022/23 is £700. This can be paid by direct debit over 7 months from October. This is waived for families who are assessed as being on a low income.
2 Apply for support
So that we can decide whether or not you are eligible for financial support towards your transport costs to sixth form or college you will need to complete our online form.
This form is for the current academic year only. Please do not use this form for applications for September 2023.Post-16 and college transport application form (external link)
- It can take up to 4 weeks for us to respond to your application.
- If we require further information in order to assess your application we will contact you to let you know.
- If your application is unsuccessful we will contact you explaining why.
- If your application is successful we will write to you with more information about what happens next.
- Please do not contact us about specific transport routes, passenger assistants or drivers, as we will not know the details at this stage. If there are going to be changes to your current transport then we will confirm them in writing.
3 If you aren't eligible for help
16-19 Bursary Fund
You may be able to apply for help through your establishment's 16-19 Bursary Fund if we cannot help. More details about this are available from your school or college.
Bus and rail discounts
Please see the Travel discounts page on Your Space for details. You can get discounts on most rail travel, including peak time journeys and season tickets with the 16-17 Saver, though if you travel on the south coast line - especially if a you have a longer journey - you may find the Unizone ticket cheaper.
4 Contact our team
5 Supporting documents
Please note that the following documents will be updated for the academic year 2022/23 by 31 May.
If you are not happy with the decision made for your entitlement to help with transport, complaints should first be made to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are still not satisfied, an appeal may be made to:
Director of Education and Skills
Every effort will be made to resolve complaints but in some cases it may be necessary to refer the matter to a panel of elected members.