1 When a licence is required
If any child, including those of compulsory school age, is involved in performances, they must be licensed by the local authority and properly chaperoned.
Children must be licensed if they:
- perform on stage
- appear in a TV production, film, commercial or modelling work
- take part in paid sport
- are paid
- need to be absent from school
- will perform for more than 4 days in a 6-month period.
2 Apply for a licence
Complete the licence application form below.Performance licence application form (PDF, 26KB)
Send completed form back to:
Child Employment and Entertainment Team
County Hall North (Parkside)
3 Exemption to licence
If your child needs time out of school you should contact the school first.
A child may perform without a licence for up to 4 days, but only if:
- it is unpaid
- no absence from school is required
- the child has not performed for more than 4 days in the previous 6 months
- the child has had no time off school for performance-related activities.
You should notify us of the production by completing and returning the following form:Exemption application form (Word, 223KB)
4 Help and advice
For details on how we collect your data, see our pupil entitlement privacy notice.