Child performance licence

Apply for a licence for a child working in entertainment.

1 When a licence is required

If any child, including those of compulsory school age, is involved in performances, they must be licensed by the local authority and properly chaperoned.

Children must be licensed if they:

  • perform on stage
  • appear in a TV production, film, commercial or modelling work
  • take part in paid sport

and they:

  • are paid
  • need to be absent from school
  • will perform for more than 4 days in a 6-month period. 

2 Apply for a licence

Complete the licence application form below.

Performance licence application form (PDF, 26KB)

Send completed form back to:

Child Employment and Entertainment Team
County Hall North (Parkside)
Chart Way
West Sussex
RH12 1XA

3 Exemption to licence

If your child needs time out of school you should contact the school first.

A child may perform without a licence for up to 4 days, but only if:

  • it is unpaid
  • no absence from school is required
  • the child has not performed for more than 4 days in the previous 6 months
  • the child has had no time off school for performance-related activities.

You should notify us of the production by completing and returning the following form:

Exemption application form (Word, 223KB)

4 Help and advice

For details on how we collect your data, see our pupil entitlement privacy notice.

Last updated:
13 August 2018

Share this

Also in Employing children

Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • (optional)

    West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.