Chaperone licence

Apply for, or renew, a chaperone licence for supervising a child taking part in a performance.

1 When a licence is required

Children who take part in public performances or entertainment under a local authority licence must be supervised by an approved chaperone, unless they are in the care of their parent or an approved tutor.

Chaperones can only be approved and licensed by the local authority in which they live.

A chaperone is in there in place of a parent and can look after up to 12 children at a time.

They are responsible for the welfare and wellbeing of each child, including:

  • ensuring the child has enough breaks and meals
  • taking action if the child is ill, upset or tired
  • identifying and managing health and safety issues.

You should apply at least 8-12 weeks before you need the licence.

2 Apply for or renew a licence

Please contact the Child Employment Team to apply for or renew a chaperone licence.

3 Licence cost

  • If you are becoming licensed as a volunteer, and are receiving no payment, the fee is £30.00.
  • If you are working in a professional capacity the fee is £65.00.

The chaperone licence lasts for 3 years.

Last updated:
16 November 2017

Share this

Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know how we're doing. We're constantly trying to improve this website. Your feedback is very important to us. You can simply add a star rating to indicate how useful you found this page. If you have more specific feedback use the form below.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.