We have worked in partnership with the South Downs National Park Authority to produce the West Sussex Joint Minerals Local Plan. It was formally adopted by both authorities in July 2018. Following a Soft Sand Review of the plan, formal revisions were adopted in March 2021. The plan:
- covers the period to 2033
- is the most up-to-date statement of land use planning policy for minerals
- provides the basis for making consistent decisions about planning applications for mineral activities in West Sussex.
It sets out four key areas which will help shape the future of minerals activities in West Sussex:
- A vision and strategic objectives for sustainable minerals development.
- 10 policies to achieve the strategic objectives for minerals development in West Sussex (Policies M1-M10).
- 15 development management policies to ensure no unacceptable harm to the environment, economy or communities of West Sussex (policies 12-26).
- Four site allocations to help meet the need for soft sand and brick making clay (policy M11).
Minerals and Waste Safeguarding Guidance
This document provides guidance on how the safeguarding of minerals resources and infrastructure associated with minerals supply and waste management will take place in West Sussex (for example, wharves, railheads, processing plants). It explains how the safeguarding policies in the West Sussex Joint Minerals Local Plan and the West Sussex Waste Local Plan 2014 will be implemented in practice.
Soft Sand Review
- Soft Sand Review adoption statement (PDF, 260KB)
- Sustainability appraisal/Strategic environmental assessment adoption statement (PDF, 100KB)
- Sustainability appraisal (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Sustainability appraisal - non-technical summary (PDF, 248KB)
- Sustainability appraisal addendum on proposed modifications (PDF, 404KB)
Joint Minerals Local Plan
- Joint Minerals Local Plan Adoption Statement (PDF, 77KB)
- Sustainability Appraisal and Strategic Environmental Assessment Adoption Statement (PDF, 62KB)
- Sustainability Appraisal (PDF, 5.5MB)
- Sustainability Appraisal - non technical summary (PDF, 522KB)
- Sustainability Appraisal of Main Modifications (including non-technical summary) (PDF, 492KB)
Background to the Joint Minerals Local Plan
The plan was submitted to the Secretary of State for approval in May 2017. Following public examination hearings in September 2017 and a subsequent representations period on modifications to the plan, it was found to be sound by the Planning Inspector. The report and schedule of main modifications are available below.
Background to the Soft Sand Review
The Soft Sand Review was submitted to the Secretary of State for independent examination in April 2020. Following examination hearings in August 2020 and a subsequent representations period on modifications to the changes identified by the review, it was found to be sound by the Planning Inspector. The report and schedule of main modifications are available below.