The Arun Growth Deal was signed in 2018 as a joint, five-year commitment between Arun District Council (ADC) and West Sussex County Council (WSCC).
The councils work together to decide priorities for the area and pool resources to deliver sustainable economic growth in the area. The deal provides opportunities for new homes, infrastructure and employment.
Arun District offers a significant economic growth opportunity for coastal West Sussex.
Following a successful Levelling Up Fund (LUF) bid in October 2021, ADC was awarded £19.4m to improve public realm (public spaces including pedestrianised areas and pavements) and infrastructure in Bognor Regis and Littlehampton. Specifically, projects will centre around The Alexandra Theatre in Bognor Regis and the seafront and riverside area in Littlehampton to encourage visitors and investment into the area.Find out more about the Arun Growth Deal (PDF, 998KB)
2 Bognor Regis priorities
The Growth Programme outlined improving public realm and infrastructure in Bognor Regis as a priority. Bognor Regis public realm includes enhancing the link from the train station through the town centre and down to the seafront by improving lighting, paving and planting.
Place St Maur
The works to Place St Maur, adjacent to The Alexandra Theatre, are an example of these improvements. Coast to Capital have supported this project with £1.2m from the Government’s ‘Getting Building Fund’ aimed at improving the space. Works on the site completed last year and partners are developing plans for other projects in the area.
Bognor Regis Esplanade Public Realm Improvements scheme
The Bognor Regis Esplanade Public Realm Improvements scheme (BREPRI), funded by WSCC, will complement the Levelling Up Fund (LUF) funding.
This scheme will continue to:
- enhance the place-making of the esplanade and the area in front of Place St Maur and Alexandra Theatre
- improve highway crossing points between the beach and town, creating a more accessible and connected community space
- improve connectivity between the esplanade, the current Place St Maur improvement scheme, the planned renovation of the Alexander Theatre and the seafront - all to enhance the experience for visitors.
WSCC, ADC and consultants, WSP, have completed preliminary design and are now progressing into detailed design.
Enterprise Bognor Regis
There are plans for a business park to the north of Bognor Regis. This will provide space for new businesses and will also allow existing businesses room to grow or space for relocation. Find further information on Arun.gov.uk.
3 Littlehampton priorities
The Growth Deal outlines a focus on town centre and seafront regeneration in order to encourage tourism, investment and employment in Littlehampton.
WSCC and ADC are working together with partners to improve the route between the station and town centre and to uplift the riverside and seafront areas.
Littlehampton Town Centre Public Realm Improvements
The Littlehampton Town Centre Public Realm Improvements scheme (LHPRI) is one of Arun Growth Programme’s largest schemes. The project started in January 2022 and is set out in five phases, of which funding is in place for three.
Phase one will see public realm improvements to Terminus Road, from Littlehampton Railway Station to the High Street via Arundel Road, which is being partly funded by WSCC. Find information on all the phases.
Littlehampton Seafront Design Scheme
Alongside the LHPRI scheme, is the Littlehampton Seafront Design Scheme which seeks to attract and accommodate tourists. £7.3m from the LUF bid has been outlined to redesign the main car park, improve public realm and facilities and create event space. Find further information about the scheme.
Littlehampton to Arundel cycleway
A new cycleway connecting Littlehampton and Arundel is being considered. This would give a sustainable transport route between the towns. It would be a new, healthy way for locals and visitors to enjoy the beautiful West Sussex countryside.
4 Strategic growth
The projects are complemented by several highways projects to ensure economic growth. This priority focuses on delivering key infrastructure projects across the district to support local strategic development sites:
- Local Plan Delivery - WSCC, ADC and Coast2Capital (Local Enterprise Partnership) working together to upgrade the transport network. This will support the delivery of new homes and business sites.
- A284/Lyminster Road - Supporting the delivery of new homes through the construction of a new bypass.
- A259 Littlehampton improvements - Upgrading single lanes to dual carriageway with foot and cycle paths.
- A29 realignment - Highway improvements via realignment of the road. This will connect residential sites.
- A27 Arundel bypass - WSCC and ADC are working with National Highways to quickly deliver local improvements and the bypass.