School transport for children with SEND

Who to contact with your transport queries if your child has special educational needs or disabilities.

1 Overview

If your child has a Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), and meets the distance criteria, we may be able to help with school transport.

If your child does not meet the criteria you may still be able to get help if their needs make their journey to school difficult. We will consider their case based on individual circumstances.

The Special Education Needs Assessment Team will inform the Transport Team that your child is eligible for assistance to get to school.

2 What happens next

Once the Special Education Needs Assessment Team have passed your details to the Transport Team you will be contacted, usually within 3 working days.

Your transport planner will send you a health and safety form which you will need to complete and return to us.

The transport planner will use all this information to draft a Transport Care Plan (TCP) and organise suitable transport. This could be public transport, a minibus or taxi; fuel payments are also available.

This TCP travels with your child on the vehicle to help staff understand your child’s needs.

We will review your transport arrangements each year and encourage independent travel where possible.

3 Frequently asked questions

Can I have my child collected from, or dropped off at, a different address? 

  • We can only provide school transport from/to your main home address. 

Do you provide transport for after school activities?

  • We don’t provide transport for after-school clubs or classes/detention. You will need to make your own arrangements for any after-school activities.

Will the driver or escort come to the door for my child?

  • It is your responsibility to take your child to the vehicle in the morning and collect them from the vehicle at the end of the day.

My house is quite a way from the roadside/pull in area. Can the driver let me know when they are outside?  

  • We can ask the driver to ring and let you know when they are outside your house. 

When will my child’s Transport Care Plan be updated?

  • You should let our school transport planners know if your child’s needs have changed. Please complete our online enquiry form

I've been told that I will get free school transport. When will this start/will this start tomorrow?

  • The transport will start within two weeks of you being notified, however we will try to make the arrangements in a shorter period. You may need to make your own arrangements in the meantime.

Can I change my child’s collection/drop off time?

  • Our transport routes are planned geographically, in line with school arrival times and efficiency. We are not usually able to meet with requests for time changes, however you can notify us via our online enquiry form and we can keep this on our records for any future route changes.

4 Transport enquiries

If you have any queries or issues regarding school transport complete our online form. Our standard response time is usually within two working days, although we will be in touch sooner if possible.

School transport enquiry form for parents and carers
Last updated:
1 May 2018

Share this

Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know how we're doing. We're constantly trying to improve this website. Your feedback is very important to us. You can simply add a star rating to indicate how useful you found this page. If you have more specific feedback use the form below.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.