The Sussex Student Card is a free card which allows you to buy discounted rail season tickets. It confirms that you:
- are a student of sixth form age in Year 12 or above
- attend full-time education at a school sixth form, sixth form college or college of further education
- live in West Sussex, East Sussex or Brighton & Hove.
2 What discounts are available?
The Sussex Student Card gives you a 34% discount on the price of monthly and longer season tickets.
You can use the discount card for rail travel outside of Sussex. However:
- the starting point of your ticket must be the most convenient station for your home; and
- the destination must be the most convenient station for your school or college.
Journeys are limited to the Southern and Southeastern rail networks, but are not available to London terminals.
Update for the new academic year 2019/20
In January 2019, the Department for Transport announced the launch of a new Railcard for young people. This is expected to offer 16-17 year olds a 50% discount on rail travel from September 2019.
We are waiting for the confirmation announcement that the 16-17 Railcard will go ahead and details of how to get one. This should happen by mid-August. We will then be able to confirm what will happen to the Sussex Student Card for the new academic year.
Please check back for updates or visit the Railcard website.
3 How to get a card
Complete and return the form below, enclosing a recent passport-style photograph.
You will need to get your form signed by a representative at your school or college. If you were born after 31 August 2000 we will also require a parent's/carer's signature.
You should allow at least 10 working days from when we receive your application for your card to be issued. At peak times there may be a slightly longer wait.
4 Getting a season ticket
Your Sussex Student Card will be sent to you with a covering letter stating your unique PIN code. Once your card has been delivered, you can apply for a rail season ticket under the Sussex Further Education Season Ticket scheme.
- include your Sussex Student Card's unique number as part of your application
- carry your card when using a rail season ticket purchased under the discount scheme.
Keep your new PIN safe as you will need to use this every time you buy or renew your season ticket.
5 If your card is lost or stolen
You will need to apply for a replacement using the form below if your card is lost or stolen, and provide a recent passport-style photo.Application for replacement Sussex Student Card (PDF, 50KB)