Report an incident or issue to Trading Standards

How to report an illegal or undesirable trading activity to Trading Standards.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) incident reporting

Excessive pricing

If your complaint concerns a business selling goods at excessive and unfair prices, please report this on the Competition and Marketing Authority (CMA) form below.

CMA online incident reporting form (GOV.UK) (external link)

Business closure or social distancing concerns at a premises

If your complaint concerns a business that has failed to close in accordance with Government guidelines, please report this using the form below.

If you are concerned a business that is allowed to be open is ignoring social distancing rules, please contact your local district or borough council.

Report to Trading Standards

Non-Coronavirus (COVID-19) incident reporting

Report to Trading Standards

Information we particularly want to receive

  • Traders supplying illicit tobacco and alcohol, such as:
    • counterfeit and non-duty paid products
    • tobacco products with foreign language or missing health warnings
    • the sale of single cigarettes.
  • Traders calling on potentially vulnerable residents to offer home improvement services, such as:
    • gardening
    • roofing
    • driveway work.
  • Traders exploiting vulnerable residents by, for example, selling them overpriced or misdescribed goods or services.
  • Traders supplying age-restricted products, such as:
    • knives
    • fireworks
    • tobacco or alcohol, to young people.
  • Illegal money lending activity ('loan sharking').
  • Scam mail or phone calls targeting residents, for example, letters and phone calls claiming prize draws or lottery wins.
  • The supply of counterfeit goods.
  • Food and drink issues, including:
    • lack of or incorrect allergen information
    • fish or animal species substitution
    • false claims about place of origin.
  • The sale of illegally imported pets (popular breeds include French Bulldogs and Pugs).
  • Animal welfare complaints relating to farm animals.

Consumer advice

If you require consumer advice in connection with the matter you wish to report, you should contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on Freephone 0808 223 1133 or online. They will give consumer advice and also pass the details you provide to Trading Standards.

Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.