The documents below explain some key concepts about West Sussex County Council funds.
You have asked us about the money the County Council puts by. The amount in reserves is a very small percentage compared to our annual budget of £533 million. There is just £20 million available in ‘general’ reserves, which we can draw on if there is an emergency of some kind. The rest is used for earmarked projects.
Reports and accounts
Statement of Accounts
Following the end of each financial year we publish an annual Statement of Accounts. This is one of the ways we demonstrate our stewardship of public money.
- 2017/18 Statement of Accounts (PDF, 5MB)
- 2016/17 Statement of Accounts (PDF, 4.1MB)
- 2015/16 Statement of Accounts (PDF, 1.8MB)
- 2014/15 Statement of Accounts (PDF, 1.4MB)
- 2013/14 Statement of Accounts (PDF, 1.4MB)
- 2012/13 Statement of Accounts (PDF, 2.6MB)
- 2011/12 Statement of Accounts (PDF, 616KB)
The accounts show:
- how we have spent money on services to the West Sussex public
- statements of movement in the general fund
- gains and losses
- a balance sheet which lists all the assets and liabilities of the County Council at 31 March.
We are required by the Accounts and Audit Regulations 2015 to publish various documents relating to the annual audit of our accounts. This includes notification of the accounts inspection period, notification of the conclusion of the audit and publication of the annual audit letter in which the authority's external auditors summarise their findings. The most recent versions of each of these documents are available below.
- 2017/18 Audit certificate (PDF, 480KB)
- 2017/18 Notice of conclusion of audit (PDF, 16KB)
- 2017/18 Notice of public rights (PDF, 14KB)
- 2016/17 Annual audit letter (PDF, 2.3MB)
Annual Governance Statement
We are responsible for making sure that our business is conducted in accordance with the law and proper standards, and that public money is safeguarded, properly accounted for and used economically and efficiently.
There is also a duty under the Local Government Act 1999 to put in place proper arrangements for:
- the continuous improvement of our functions
- the governance of our affairs, including those of the Local Government Pension Scheme and the Firefighters' Pension Scheme, which includes arrangements for the management of risk.
The Annual Governance Statement explains how we have complied with the Governance Framework. It also meets the requirements of Regulation 6 of the Accounts and Audit Regulations 2015 in relation to the publication of the statement of internal control.
- 2017/18 Annual Governance Statement (PDF, 562KB)
- 2016/17 Annual Governance Statement (PDF, 381KB)
- 2015/16 Annual Governance Statement (PDF, 322KB)
- 2014/15 Annual Governance Statement (PDF, 284KB)
- 2013/14 Annual Governance Statement (PDF, 136KB)
- 2012/13 Annual Governance Statement (PDF, 100KB)
- 2011/12 Annual Governance Statement (PDF, 56KB)