Paying for care in your home or local community

What you may need to pay towards your care if you wish to remain at home.

We can only pay up to a certain amount to support someone living in their own home.

If your social care worker thinks you need support, they will ask a trained benefits adviser to assess your finances and work out whether you should pay towards your personal budget.

For most people, the amount paid will only be a contribution towards the full cost of their support. However, if they have more than £23,250 in savings or investments (not including the value of their home), they will have to pay the full cost.

How we calculate your contribution

If you have less than £23,250 in savings or investments, the amount you will pay towards the cost of your non-residential care support is based on your weekly income and any capital you may have.

To work out the amount you will have to pay each week, we add together:

  • your weekly income, such as pensions and state benefits (but not money you earn)
  • a weekly charge on capital, at a rate of £1.00 a week for every £250 (or part of £250) of your savings over £14,250. This does not include the value of your home.

Then we take away allowances: 

  • to cover your day-to-day living expenses (the minimum income guarantee)
  • for property-related household expenses
  • for agreed disability related expenses - also known as disability related expenditure or DRE.

The final figure is your contribution.

Further information

You can also read our staff guidance on disability related expenditure.

You may want to complete a financial self-assessment before contacting the County Council. 

Last updated:
31 October 2018

Share this

Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • (optional)

    West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.