Free disabled person's bus pass

Apply for, renew or replace a free bus pass for disabled people.

1 What the County Council offers

We can provide a bus pass offering free bus travel to people who are disabled, incapacitated or medically unfit to drive. 

Or the County Council offers:

Be aware that we cannot provide a bus pass and a railcard.

2 Eligibility

You must be a permanent West Sussex resident and someone who, in accordance with Section 146 of the Transport Act 2000:

  • is blind or partially sighted
  • is profoundly or severely deaf
  • is without speech
  • has a disability, or has suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk
  • does not have arms or has long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • has a learning disability, that is a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  • would have their application for a driving licence refused on the grounds of medical fitness (apart from due to persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol).

3 What you need to provide when you apply

When applying for a new pass you will need to provide copies of the following with your application form:

  • one clear and recent passport photo with a light background
  • one proof of address, such as:
    • valid driving licence
    • most recent Council Tax bill
    • utility bill (no more than three months old)
    • bank statement (no more than three months old)
    • proof of pension entitlement
    • NHS medical card
  • one evidence of disability (refer to page 2 of the application form on this page for a full list of acceptable supporting documents).

Do not send original documents.

4 Apply for a free bus pass

Applying online

You can apply for a new, renewal or replacement bus pass online via our 'My Bus Pass' website:

Apply online (external link)

You may be required to upload a photograph and/or proof of eligibility documentation along with your application, so please have these ready when prompted. Further guidance concerning valid photographs and documents is provided on the My Bus Pass site.

Applying by post

Step 1. Download, print and complete the application form:

Step 2. Attach copies of the supporting evidence.

Step 3: Post everything to:

West Sussex Bus Pass
PO Box 212

5 Companion passes

If you are applying for a disabled person's pass you may be able to apply for a Companion Pass if you need someone to travel with you.

If you are receiving the higher rate of Attendance Allowance, we need no further evidence.

In all other cases, you must supply a report from a medical specialist confirming that you need a companion to travel.

A companion will only be able to travel for free if they are accompanying you.

How to apply

Please use the application form to apply for a bus pass and the companion element.

If you already have a disabled person's bus pass you can apply separately for the companion element. You do not need to complete the whole application form again but you will need to send in the appropriate medical evidence of the support you require.

6 Using your free bus pass

You can travel on local buses anywhere in England as far and as often as you like.

Where and when you can use your pass

Where and when you can use your pass: Read left to right for location, weekdays (not public holidays) and weekends and public holidays.
Location Weekdays (not public holidays) Weekends and public holidays
West Sussex (not bus N700) Any time Any time
Any other local authority in England 9.30am-11.00pm Any time
Transport for London buses Any time Any time

Free travel may only be available off-peak outside of West Sussex. If you are unsure if your pass will be valid on your journey check with the bus operator or other local authority.

You will not be able to use your pass on:

  • services where most seats are reserved, such as coaches
  • long distance services with limited stops
  • services that run for less than six weeks, such as special event buses
  • tourist services, such as open-top bus tours
  • buses which are replacing trains.

Where you can't use your pass you will have to pay the full normal fare. You may be able to get help if travelling to hospital or healthcare facilities.

7 Renewing or updating your pass

A disabled person's bus pass is usually valid for five years, but the expiry date may vary depending on the disability evidence you provide. For example, if you have a temporary disability an annual renewal may be appropriate.

We currently send an application form to all disabled bus pass holders shortly before their pass expires inviting them to renew. Once everybody has been through the assessment process we hope to automatically renew bus passes for those with lifelong conditions.

Please let us know if:

  • you do not receive your new bus pass by your current pass's expiry date
  • your details, such as your name or address, change.

Bus pass holders who move to West Sussex

If you have a bus pass issued by another county and you move to West Sussex you must:

8 Replacing a lost, stolen or damaged bus pass

If you have damaged or lost your pass, or if it has been stolen, you can apply for a replacement online.

Apply online at My Bus Pass (external link)

The following charges to replace your pass will apply:

  • Stolen pass, if you provide a crime reference number - no charge for a first replacement pass
  • Stolen pass, for a further replacement pass, or if you cannot provide a crime reference number - £11.00
  • Lost or damaged pass - £11.00

If you are requesting a pass to replace a lost, stolen or damaged one you do not need to include a photo.

9 Contact details

If you need help or advice, please email us with your query and we will respond as soon as possible. Please include your phone number if you would like us to call you to discuss your query.

Alternatively, you can contact the West Sussex Bus Pass Information helpline below. The helpline is open 9.00am-4.00pm, Monday-Friday. If you are calling outside of these hours leave a message and we will call you back.

If you find a bus pass, or have a pass that is no longer required (for example, if the pass holder has passed away), please return it to us with a covering note.

Last updated:
3 June 2024
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.