The West Sussex Lane Rental Scheme (WSLRS) gives works promoters a financial incentive to carry out and complete highway works in a less disruptive way when a road or lane closure is needed.
This scheme works alongside the West Sussex Permit Scheme, but the WSLRS only applies to selected roads and not the whole of the county.
- reduces the length of time that sites are unoccupied
- improves planning, coordination and working methods to maximise efficiency
- means more work is completed outside of peak periods
- enables work to be completed as quickly as possible and to the required standard the first time.
A daily rate is charged to companies working on specific roads and whether it is during busy periods such as rush hour.
Depending on the type of work being undertaken, different charges apply. To find out which roads the scheme applies to and the different charge bands, please review the supporting documents below.
To avoid additional charges:
- work outside of traffic-sensitive times
- work outside of term or seasonal times
- work at weekends and bank holidays during term-times
- avoid the reduction of lanes available to traffic
- work with other highway companies to share a collective charge.
Some works may be eligible for discounts and exemptions based on the works and working methodologies being undertaken. Please contact us at the email address below to discus these potential reductions in costs.
There is no separate application process for this scheme. The WSCC street works management system will automatically identify streets that are included in the lane rental scheme. S50 and S278 applications should follow the usual application process.
If possible, you should include relevant information on your West Sussex Permit Scheme application.