You are able to contribute to our tree planting programme by taking part in our Donate a Tree Scheme.
By contributing to this scheme we will plant a new tree outside your property (subject to a site assessment).
2 About the scheme
- We will supply and plant a new tree in the next planting season (November through to February).
- The tree will be a staked, container grown ‘extra heavy standard’ (approximately 2-3 meters tall), with a strimmer guard and irrigation tube installed.
- If you wish, you can request a list of tree species appropriate to your location to choose from.
- For the first three years after it is planted, the tree will receive an annual visit from the Young Tree Maintenance Team. They will inspect and carry out any routine maintenance and formative pruning.
- The contribution cost is £200 per tree. The donation price does not cover the full cost of supply, planting and future maintenance of a new highway tree; these are extra costs that are funded by West Sussex County Council.
- If we receive your request by the end of July, this will guarantee the tree is included in the upcoming planting season.
If you would like to take part in the scheme you can apply online.
When we will not plant a tree
- If there could be sight line issues when the tree becomes fully grown as it may restrict visibility for pedestrians and road users. We would not plant on a bend, near signs, lights or accesses.
- If the tree is being planted near underground services or overhead cables. These would not be considered due to possible interference when tree is fully grown.
- The width of a verge may play a factor in not planting a tree, if it is 450cm or less a tree would not be considered.
- We do not plant in hard surface such as tarmac, slabs or paving.
- We do not plant new trees where there is evidence of regular vehicle overrun or to prevent verge parking or where there is a high risk of vandalism.
- Special consideration will be given to conservation areas where a tree with a Tree Preservation Order has been felled.
3 Donate a tree
For details about the trees available through the scheme, see our specially-selected tree species list:
To donate a tree, complete the form below.Donate a tree form (external link)
4 What happens next?
Once we have received your form, a highway steward will assess the proposed site to see if it is suitable.
- If the location is considered to be inappropriate for tree planting we will contact you explaining why.
- If there are no issues an arboriculturist (tree specialist) will assess the location for the appropriate tree species.
- If we approve your request we will contact you to confirm that you still want to contribute towards the cost of the tree.
The process should take 3-4 weeks.
The tree will be planted between November and February.