Set up a new reading group
Reading groups are a great way to meet people and share your views about books you have read.
The PDF below contains information on starting your own reading group, ideas for discussion and developing it further.
Get support for reading groups
Our dedicated service supports over 300 groups in West Sussex. For an annual subscription (currently £32.00) we provide:
- access to an online system or hotline phone number to place requests
- a 7-week loan period
- priority booking for library author events
- an eNewsletter.
Library-hosted reading groups
As well as supporting private reading groups, many of our libraries host groups themselves.
Contact your local library to:
- check if there's space in a library reading group
- find out about groups in your area
- get support to start your own group.
Request reading group books
Reading group hotline: 01243 816748 (Monday-Friday, 10.00am-4.00pm)
If you don't want to complete the online form, print off and complete the form below and hand it into your local library.
Make sure you:
- request three titles at a time
- provide alternatives in case your first choices are not available
- complete the 'Collection date' fields
- indicate in the 'Additional information' field if you need books in large print or audio format, and how many you would like
- avoid requesting books published within the last year
- provide at least four weeks' notice for the books you require.
Please see the guidelines for reading groups below for more information.
We will confirm whether we can place your reservations, usually by the next working day.