The purpose of the Computer Buddy Volunteer role is to help library customers to learn basic digital skills including accessing online information and staying safe online.
The role requires:
- excellent digital skills
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- initiative and the ability to work without supervision
- being adaptable to different skill and knowledge levels of customers
- the ability to help, support or demonstrate digital skills to beginners
The ideal volunteer will:
- be happy to engage with a variety of people of all ages
- demonstrate patience and understanding
- be committed to the equality and diversity of the local community
- enjoy working with people
- enjoy providing IT support and demonstrating digital skills
- be aged 18 or above.
Your duties will be to:
- run sessions for beginners to get them started with basic digital skills, including keyboard and mouse skills
- run sessions for library customer who have some basic skills to support them, particularly in the areas of email and internet use
- provide individual support for customers
- help library staff to promote digital library services such as eBooks and eMagazines
- support customers to complete online forms.
Approximately two to four hours per week. Times and days may vary at each library.
Guidance and support
Library staff will be on duty with you in the library. All volunteers will be given a named library contact who can provide support and information.
Training and equipment
All digital volunteers will receive library volunteer induction training, including health and safety. You will required to complete the Learn My Way Digital Champion training and Staying Safe Online training to carry out this role. Relevant additional training or refresher training will be provided as required.
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
This role does not require a DBS check.
One reference will be required before you are accepted for the role. This must be someone who has known you in a personal, work or voluntary capacity for at least three years.
All volunteers must sign a volunteer agreement. You may be required to carry out a practical exercise relevant to the role before starting.
Volunteers are required to wear a lanyard and volunteer photo ID badge while in the library. You must also sign the attendance sheet on arrival and departure.
All volunteers are encouraged to become a member of West Sussex Library Service and subscribe to the Volunteer eNewsletter. This will help you keep up to date with your role and the latest library news.