Support for refugees

Who we work with to support refugees in West Sussex.

West Sussex accepts and supports refugees from around the world under Government schemes, including the UK Resettlement Scheme (UKRS).

West Sussex County Council (WSCC) works with:

  • our local authority partners in the district and borough councils
  • the local NHS, police and other services
  • voluntary groups to help relocate and settle families and individuals within the county.

We hope everyone across West Sussex will join us in welcoming and supporting those looking to settle here and rebuild their lives safely.

UK Resettlement Scheme in West Sussex

Refugees arriving under UK Resettlement Scheme (UKRS) are assisted by the Government via international development funding. This helps to cover costs for providing caseworkers and securing housing, social care, health and support to integrate.

Each case will be different as each family will have different needs, different skills and different backgrounds.

From the outset, refugees are encouraged on a pathway to independence by learning English, finding employment and sustaining activities of daily living.

We have a core offer of family support in place that helps to build family resilience and independence. The WSCC Resettlement Team supports families to access key services such as GPs, schools and apply for Universal Credit.

Following three months of intensive support, the support will move to volunteers working alongside the Resettlement Team.

All UKRS refugees receive support for five years.

If you would like to find out more about the UK Resettlement Scheme in West Sussex, please submit your enquiry by emailing:

Last updated:
25 September 2023
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.