The Government has announced the continuation of the Household Support Fund, to provide support between 1 April 2023 and 31 March 2024. Local councils have been allocated funding by the Department of Work and Pensions to support residents in need across the county.
The expectation is that the fund should be used to support households in the most need, particularly those who may not be eligible for the other support Government has recently made available, but who are nevertheless in need and who require crisis support. Support includes:
- an amended energy price guarantee from April 2023
- up to £900 in cost of living payments for those on eligible means tested benefits
- £150 disability cost of living payment
- a one-off £300 pensioner cost of living payment (through the winter fuel payment).
This list is not exhaustive and there may additionally be households that are vulnerable to rising costs, despite being in receipt of this Government support with the cost of living, including families with children of all ages, pensioners, unpaid carers, care leavers and disabled people.
Any households who would like further details, or believe they meet the criteria, can apply via the Community Hub application-based element of the scheme.
Additional support from this continuation of funding will be allocated in a comparable way to previous rounds:
- Funding continues to be allocated to support children in receipt of term-time free school meals with vouchers for the holidays.
- We are working in partnership with district and borough councils to administer funding most suited to individual communities, to allow each district and borough to administer their own support offering in line with local demand.
- Funds are distributed in partnership with other organisations including Citizens Advice, Carers Support West Sussex and food and fuel banks to ensure a wider community reach.
Further information on the Government’s response to the cost of living is available on GOV.UK.
Find information on West Sussex County Council’s response to the cost of living.