Flares are potentially lethal and cannot be disposed of at home or at our recycling centres.
What you must do
- As the holder of a flare, you have a duty of care to ensure that you dispose of them safely and legally.
- Out-of-date or damaged flares can be extremely dangerous. You must bring them ashore as soon as possible for safe disposal.
You could contact...
- the place you bought the flare from - they may operate a 'take back' scheme.
- marinas - a charge may apply.
- life raft service stations.
- HM Coastguard, as a last resort. A discretionary service may be available.