Fireworks must not be disposed of in your general waste at home and you cannot take them to recycling centres.
What you must do
- As the holder of a firework, you have a duty of care to ensure its safe disposal.
- Never try to dispose of a firework on a fire.
- Follow advice from the Chief Fire Officer’s Association: ‘The safest way of dealing with a firework that is complete and undamaged is to function it in accordance with the instructions provided.’
- Out-of-date or damaged fireworks can be extremely dangerous. Submerge the firework in a bucket of water for at least 48 hours. You don’t want it to dry out as it might become more dangerous.
You could also...
- try contacting the place you bought the fireworks from - they may operate a 'take back' scheme.
- contact the manufacturer for advice about safe disposal - their details should be on the box.