Proof of residency at Household Waste and Recycling Sites

Anyone using an HWRS will be required to provide proof of residency in West Sussex.

Access to sites will be denied if you do not have proof of address or live outside of West Sussex.

Reasons for the change

Strong evidence shows that people living outside West Sussex are using our household waste recycling sites (HWRSs). This has resulted in West Sussex County Council (WSCC) paying substantial disposal charges applied to their waste, and increased congestion from the extra traffic coming to our sites.

Providing proof of residency enables us to better control the process. We expect some traffic delays at our sites initially, however, we are committed to providing residents with a high-quality service and this will not change.

The scheme only applies to HWRSs (including the two mobile sites) in West Sussex, as other counties have their own policies in place. If you do not live in West Sussex you can obtain details of your local HWRS by contacting your local authority.

How the checks will work

  • The new policy will be enforced using identification checks at HWRSs, whether you are driving or walking your waste in to the site.
  • Site staff will only ask to see your proof of address - they will not record or keep this information.
  • Each time you arrive at a site you will be met by a member of staff within the site entrance area.
  • You will be asked to show your ID (the address and photo must be clearly visible).
  • Staff will check your address and postcode to establish that you are a West Sussex resident.
  • Your ID will be returned, and you will be directed into the site to dispose of your waste. 
  • Failure to bring appropriate identification, or prove your residency, will result in you being unable to use the site.

All sites have CCTV and if you are refused entry and leave waste outside the site, you will be liable to prosecution. See information on fly tipping at the bottom of the page.

If you have a holiday home or caravan, you will be able to use the HWRS and/or mobile site if you can provide evidence that you pay Council Tax to WSCC.

Acceptable forms of ID

  • Current driving licence (a photo card or paper licence will be accepted) - preferred option
  • Council Tax bill - from the current Council Tax financial year
  • Utility bill (gas, electric or water) - less than a year old
  • TV licence less than a year old
  • Letter from HMRC or the Home Office - less than a year old

Only original and printed paper copies are acceptable. Allowing the use of digital copies of documents was considered but it was felt that the potential issues, such as lack of internet connection, could result in traffic congestion.

Managing the potential environment impact

The proposal will mean that some non-West Sussex residents will need to travel further to a site in their own area. It is hoped that this may be mitigated by some residents making fewer trips and/or selecting alternative and more sustainable routes for managing their waste such as home composting and use of kerbside collection services.

Van, pickup and trailer waste permits

If you have a van, pickup and trailer waste permit, photographic ID will continue to be required under the terms and conditions of the permit scheme. This will not change.

Fly tipping

Fly tipping is a criminal offence, punishable by a fine of up to £50,000 or 12 months' imprisonment if convicted in a magistrates' court. The offence can attract an unlimited fine and up to five years' imprisonment if convicted in a Crown Court.

You can report incidents of fly tipping to the district or borough council in which the fly tipping has occurred.

Last updated:
4 February 2020
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.