Supported Lodgings

Find out how to apply to provide accommodation for young people aged 16-21 in your own home.

1 Overview

Supported Lodgings is an accommodation scheme for young people who need a secure and supportive environment in which to stay.

Young people may be placed with a Supported Lodgings carer if they are aged 16-21 (or 24 if they are in higher education) and are moving towards independent living.

This may be a young care leaver or someone who is unable to live at home. Sometimes this can also be a young person from overseas who is claiming asylum.

Often, young people who live with a Supported Lodgings carer are attending college or in employment. However they may need to develop their skills in cooking, washing, completing job applications and preparing for adult life. They may also need emotional support and encouragement to help them meet their potential.

“I know what a difference it makes to have someone there for you.” Glynis, supported lodgings carer.

2 Could you provide Supported Lodgings?

If you have a spare room and want to make a difference to a young person’s life, we’re looking for Supported Lodgings carers who can offer a stable, supportive home.

Our Supported Lodgings carers come from a wide variety of backgrounds, ethnic groups, faiths and age groups. It can help to have some life experience and understanding of the issues facing young people.

Like fostering, the young person will stay with you and your family while they are in the Supported Lodgings scheme. Unlike fostering however, they will usually be able to get themselves around independently to college and employment – therefore good transport links are essential.

Our approved Supported Lodgings carers work in partnership with the County Council’s Children’s Services and are paid a weekly allowance.

Currently, the minimum payment is £233.67 per week.

You will also receive support from an allocated child and family support worker who will visit regularly, and have access to training.

If you think this role could be for you, the next step is to complete our enquiry form.

3 How to apply

To become an approved Supported Lodgings carer you will need to undergo an assessment.

This involves a number of checks, such as disclosure and barring service (DBS) checks, and gives us time to get to know you and your family.

It also gives you time to think about the commitment you are making to supporting a young person in your home.

If you would like to come along to one of our information sessions to find out more, visit our Fostering events page.

If you feel ready to apply complete our enquiry form.

4 Contact us

Last updated:
30 May 2018

Share this

Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know how we're doing. We're constantly trying to improve this website. Your feedback is very important to us. You can simply add a star rating to indicate how useful you found this page. If you have more specific feedback use the form below.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.