We have worked in partnership with the South Downs National Park Authority to produce the West Sussex Waste Local Plan. Formally adopted by both authorities in April 2014, the plan covers the period to 2031 and is the most up-to-date statement of land use planning policy for waste.
The Plan provides the basis for making consistent decisions about planning applications for waste management facilities.
The aspiration to become a zero waste to landfill county is a key element of the plan. The aim is to ensure that communities, environment and economy of West Sussex are protected.
The plan sets out four key areas which will help shape the future of waste management waste in West Sussex:
- a vision and strategic objectives for sustainable waste management
- nine policies to achieve the strategic objectives for the management of different waste types (Policies 1-9)
- 13 development management policies to ensure no unacceptable harm to the environment, economy or communities of West Sussex (Policies 11-23)
- six site allocations to help us meet the need for new facilities (Policy 10).
- Waste Local Plan Adoption Statement (PDF, 186KB)
- Sustainability Appraisal/Strategic Environmental Assessment Adoption Statement (PDF, 108KB)
- Sustainability Appraisal (PDF, 5.9MB)
- Sustainability Appraisal – Addendum (PDF, 497KB)
- Sustainability Appraisal – Non-technical summary (PDF, 247KB)
Background to the Waste Local Plan
The plan was submitted to the Secretary of State for approval in March 2013. Following a public examination in July 2013, it was found to be sound by the Planning Inspector. The Planning Inspector's report and schedule of main modifications are available below.
- Planning Inspectorate report on the examination into West Sussex Waste Local Plan (PDF, 235KB)
- West Sussex Waste Local Plan - Main modifications (PDF, 937KB)
Find out more
Contact us if you would like any of the submission and examination documents or background evidence that was produced in relation to the public examination and submission of the plan.