West Sussex Disability Register

What the Disability Register is and how to sign up.

The County Council collects information about children and young people age 0-25 with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) to help plan and deliver their services. The register is maintained by the West Sussex Library Service.

Parents, carers and young people who share their information will be helping the County Council and other local agencies to have a better understanding of the needs of local children, young people and their families.

Signing up to the register

Children and Young people between 0 and 25 years old who have a disability can sign up to the register.

Sign up to the register (external link)

By a disability we mean:

  • something that has a big effect on your day to day life
  • everyday things that might take more time, effort, planning or support
  • if you need to do things differently or need more help than most other people your age
  • something you live with for life or have had for a long time.

The form can be completed by a parent or carer on behalf of a child or young person. Anyone over the age of 12 can also complete the form by themselves with help if needed.

The form needs to be completed for each person with SEND in a household or family and will only take about ten minutes to complete. We will be asking for contact details and information about education, travel, and health (including the name and address of your GP), but we don't need any detailed information.

All the information we collect will be stored securely. Any information we do share will not include names or personal details of individual people.

Benefits of being on the register

As a thank you for signing up for the Disability Register the County Council is providing each individual with a MAX Card.

A max card will provide discounts on attractions and activities across England. To claim your card, you need to show your confirmation email you receive upon finishing registration to a member of the Library Service at your nearest library.