We hold records of births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships that occurred in West Sussex since 1837.
Copies of these certificates can be purchased:
- online (standard service only)
- by phone, post or in person using the standard or same day express service.
These methods are for UK residents only - see Order a copy certificate for details of how to order if you live abroad.
2 Order a copy certificate
- Order and pay online (standard service only - posted Royal Mail 1st class post)
- Order and pay by phone: 01243 642122
- Submit your request in writing to:
Centralised Certificates Office
Please remember to enclose a cheque or postal order made payable to West Sussex County Council. Please include a telephone number so that we can contact you, should we need to check any details.
If you live outside the UK, please submit your request in writing to the address above and include a self-addressed envelope and payment to include international postage, by cheque or postal order in UK sterling, made payable to West Sussex County Council. Please make it clear in your letter what postal service you have paid for.
Standard 7-day service - £10.00
- Copy certificates issued after the registration appointment will cost £10.00.
- Certificates are usually despatched within 7 days, provided that we hold the relevant register. Family history certificates may take longer to despatch.
- If ordering by post, please confirm the number of certificates required, enclose a self-addressed envelope and payment in sterling; cheque or postal orders should be made out to West Sussex County Council.
Same day express service - £25.00
- Same day express service orders must be made by phone, post or in person before 12 noon, Monday-Friday.
- Your copy certificate will be ready for collection by 3.00pm the same day, provided we hold the relevant register.
- Express certificates can be collected from the Record Office, Chichester or posted first class. If Special Delivery Next Day is required, please contact us for more information. Please note that this service will cost extra.
- Should an entry not be traced, the Registrar will contact you as soon as possible to arrange a refund.
All fees are valid from 1 April 2015 to 31 March 2016.
4 What information will I need?
As well as your contact details, and why you need the copy certificate, you will also need to have the following information.
- Birth certificate - Full name at birth, date of birth, place of birth, father's full name and mother's full name.
- Death certificate - Full name of deceased, occupation, home address, date of death, place of death, date of birth or age at death and, if married or in a civil partnership, please give name and surname of spouse/civil partner.
- Marriage certificate - Full names for both parties at the time of the registration and the date and place (church or venue and town) of the marriage.
- Civil partnership certificate - Full names and addresses for both parties at the time of the registration and the date and place (venue and town) of the ceremony.