Request copy certificates
We hold records of births, deaths, marriages and civil
partnerships that occurred in West Sussex since 1837.
Copies of these certificates can be purchased:
- online using the standard service only
- by phone, post or in person using the standard or priority
Standard 5 day service - £10.00
- Copy certificates issued after the registration appointment
will cost £10.00.
- Certificates are usually despatched within 5 working
days. Family history certificates may take longer to
- If ordering by post please confirm the number of
certificates required, enclose a self-addressed envelope and
payment in sterling, cheque or postal order made out to West Sussex
Same day priority service - £25.00
- Same day priority service orders must be made by phone, post or
in person before 10.00am, Monday- Friday.
- Your copy certificate will be ready for collection by 4.00pm
the same day, provided we hold the relevant register.
- Priority certificates can be collected from the Record Office,
Chichester or posted first class. If Special Delivery Next Day
delivery is required please contact us for more information. Please
note that this service will cost extra.
- Should an entry not be traced, the Registrar will contact
you as soon as possible to arrange a refund.
What information will I need?
As well as your contact details and why you need the copy
certificate you will also need to have the following
|Full name at
birth, date of birth, place of birth, father's full name and
mother's full name.
|Full name of deceased, occupation, home address, date of death,
place of death, date of birth or age at death and, if married or in
a civil partnership, please give name and surname of spouse/civil
|Full names for both parties at the time of the registration and
the date and place (church or venue and town) of the marriage.
Civil partnership certificate
Full names for both parties at the time of the registration and
the date and place (venue and town) of the ceremony.
How to order a copy certificate
and pay online (standard service only)
||Order and pay by phone: 01243 642122
||Submit your request in writing to:
Centralised Certificates Office
(Please remember to enclose a cheque or postal order)
All fees are valid from 1 April 2014–31 March 2015.