Professionals can now submit a request for an EHC (Education Health and Care) assessment online.
Please read the guidance and criteria for requests for EHC needs assessments before starting your request.
Please note that from Monday 5 September we will only be accepting requests via the online form.
2 Before requesting an assessment
It might be helpful to use our checklist to understand if an EHC needs assessment request is a suitable next step for the child. The checklist will ask you six questions and will provide you with an outcome and next steps.EHC needs assessment checklist
3 Documents to complete before starting an assessment
Before starting the online form you will need to complete a number of supporting documents.
- Supporting evidence - 4c (Word, 15KB) - to be completed if child/young person has communication and interaction difficulties.
- Supporting evidence - 4a (Word, 20KB) - to be completed for all requests.
- Supporting evidence - 4b (Word, 15KB) - to be completed if child/young person has cognition/learning difficulties.
- Supporting evidence - 4e (Word, 15KB) - to be completed if child/young person has sensory and/or physical difficulties.
- Supporting evidence - 4d (Word, 15KB) - to be completed if child/young person has social, emotional or mental health difficulties.
- Supporting evidence - 7 (Word, 17KB) - to be completed for all requests. This is required for all requests and informs parents/carers of important information regarding the use of the information provided in this EHC Needs Assessment request.
In addition to these documents you will need to upload further supporting evidence. There are example templates within the guidance document on Local Offer or you may have your own templates. Please ensure these are ready to upload before you start. You will need:
- a one-page profile
- pupil views (please see 'Pupil Contribution' forms on the Local Offer website)
- information that provides parent/carers' views, wishes and feelings
- information showing how you and the child's/young person’s parents have worked together
- outcomes for the young person for both this academic year and over the next two to three years
- attendance certificate
- two reviewed ILPs and one current ILP
- examples of the pupil’s work
- an individual costed provision map
- any other relevant evidence/reports (Social Communication Team, Early Help).
Please note: If you are a setting making a request you will need to upload the consent and data protection documents which require a parental or young person's signature. It is also expected that you will have discussed the supporting documents with parents or the young person, prior to submitting them. Good practice dictates a joined up approach to a request of this type.
4 Request an EHC assessment
Ensure you have all your supporting evidence ready to upload as there is no option to save part way through the application. It is advised you scan through the form beforehand to check what you need to upload.
Before you submit your form check all mandatory fields have been completed. If you submit without doing so any uploaded attachments will be lost and you will have to upload again.Request an EHC assessment
5 If you need help
If you need practical help with using the form please contact the SEN Requests and Referrals Team on 033 022 22711.
If you are seeking information or advice about the EHC Assessment process you can contact the SEN Requests and Referrals Team on the same number or SEND Information Advice and Support Service on 033 022 28555.