1 Before requesting an assessment
Professionals can now submit a request for an Education Health and Care Needs Assessment (EHCNA) online.
Please read the guidance and criteria for requests for EHCNA before starting your request.
It might also be helpful to use our checklist to understand if an EHCNA request is a suitable next step for the child. It contains six questions and will provide you with an outcome and next steps.Education Health and Care Needs Assessment checklist
2 Documents to complete before starting an assessment
Before starting the online form you will need to complete a number of supporting documents.
To be completed for all requests
- Supporting evidence - 4a (Word, 20KB)
- Supporting evidence - 7 (Word, 17KB) - This informs parents/carers of important information regarding the use of the information provided in this Education Health and Care Needs Assessment (EHCNA) request.
Additional documents that may be required
- Supporting evidence - 4c (Word, 15KB) - To be completed if child/young person has communication and interaction difficulties.
- Supporting evidence - 4b (Word, 15KB) - To be completed if child/young person has cognition/learning difficulties.
- Supporting evidence - 4e (Word, 15KB) - To be completed if child/young person has sensory and/or physical difficulties.
- Supporting evidence - 4d (Word, 15KB) - To be completed if child/young person has social, emotional or mental health difficulties.
- Parent views (Word, 15KB) - To be completed by the parent/carer.
Further supporting evidence
In addition to the documents above, you will need to upload further supporting evidence. There are example templates within the guidance document on Local Offer, or you may have your own templates. Please ensure these are ready to upload before you start.
You will need:
- a one-page profile
- pupil views (see 'Pupil Contribution' forms on the Local Offer website)
- information that provides parent/carers' views, wishes and feelings
- information showing how you and the child's/young person’s parents have worked together
- outcomes for the young person for both this academic year and over the next two to three years
- attendance certificate
- two reviewed ILPs (Individual Learning Plans) and one current ILP
- examples of the pupil’s work
- an individual costed provision map
- any other relevant evidence/reports (Social Communication Team, Early Help).
If you are a setting making a request you will need to upload the consent and data protection documents, which require a parental or young person's signature. It is also expected that you will have discussed the supporting documents with parents, or the young person, prior to submitting them. Good practice dictates a joined up approach to a request of this type.
3 Request an assessment
Ensure you have all your supporting evidence ready to upload as there is no option to save part way through the application. It is advised you scan through the form beforehand to check what you need to upload.
Before you submit your form, check all mandatory fields have been completed. If you submit without doing so any uploaded attachments will be lost and have to be upload again.Request an Education Health and Care Needs Assessment
4 If you need help
If you need practical help completing the form contact the SEN Requests and Referrals Team.