Last updated:
19 October 2016

How to get adult social care support

Contact our Adults' CarePoint team for advice or to request an assessment.

1 Complete a self-assessment

The assessment is designed to help people think about their personal circumstances.

You can download and complete a self-assessment form if you are thinking about contacting us to ask about getting social care support. You can then use this form when you contact the Adults' CarePoint.

If you are a carer you are entitled to an assessment of your own needs even if the person you care for is not in contact with Adults’ Services.

Carers Support West Sussex will receive online carers' self-assessments. They carry out the majority of carers' assessments on behalf of the County Council.

Further information and printable forms are available on West Sussex Connect to Support.

2 Contact Adults' CarePoint

  • Use our online enquiry form
  • Phone: 01243 642121
  • If you would prefer to write to us, our address is:
    West Sussex County Council Adults’ CarePoint, Second Floor, The Grange, County Hall, Chichester, West Sussex PO19 1RG

You may also prefer someone, such as a friend or your GP, to contact us for you.

If you have any special communication or access needs please contact our sensory teams. We can then discuss your situation with you in the most suitable way.

You can find more social care information on West Sussex Connect to Support.

3 What happens after you contact us

When you first make contact with us you will go through CarePoint 1.

CarePoint 1 will:

  • help support you to find community information and advice
  • forward urgent specialist adult social care enquiries, including any safeguarding concerns to CarePoint 2
  • record details of non-urgent specialist enquiries and arrange for someone from CarePoint 2 to contact you by the end of the following working day.

If you need further support your enquiry will be passed to CarePoint 2.

CarePoint 2 will:

  • carry out specialist assessments, offer further advice as required and identify if you are eligible for funded adult social care or equipment loan
  • respond to all urgent enquires, including safeguarding concerns. 

4 Emergencies

We provide emergency cover outside normal office hours of 9.00am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday, covering evenings and overnight, weekends and bank holidays.

  • Phone: 01243 642121 (urgent referrals for adults)
  • Phone: 01903 843239 (to contact an Approved Mental Health Professional, who will consider an urgent Mental Health Act Assessment - for all age groups)

5 Accessible Information Standard

The Accessible Information Standard ensures that if you have a disability you can easily get information you understand and that you receive any communication support you need.

The Standard aims to support you to be fully involved in decisions about your care.

All organisations that provide NHS or social care services must follow the Standard and:

  • ask people if they have any information or communication needs
  • record and highlight those needs on a person’s record 
  • set out how to meet those needs
  • share the information about the person’s needs with other social care or NHS providers as part of any referral or handover process
  • meet the needs by ensuring all communications are understood and that any communication support required is provided.

Our Adults’ Services Accessible Information Communications Strategy sets out our approach to meeting the Standard.

6 Further information

Further information on getting social care support is available in the booklet below.

Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know how we're doing. We're constantly trying to improve this website. Your feedback is very important to us. You can simply add a star rating and/or if you have more specific feedback about this page, please use the form below.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.