Street works licence and permit scheme

Apply to carry out street works.

1 Overview

All works on a West Sussex highway can only be carried out if the contractor has a street works licence or permit.

Organisations that supply public utility services, such as water, sewerage, gas, electric, telecoms and cable, are able to carry out street works as they have a statutory right.

If you wish to carry out street works to excavate and lay apparatus in the highway, and are not operating on behalf of a statutory undertaker, you must apply for a street works licence.

2 Apply for a licence

If you are one of the large utility contractors and are using the current electronic notification system, you must apply for your permit through this. 

If you don't use the current electronic system, you must apply for a Section 50 street works licence. The cost is £586.00.

To request a licence pack, you will need to email us with the following information:

  • Company address
  • Property address that is benefitting from the new apparatus

You will also need to attach a Section 106 letter from the utility granting permission to connect, or a Section 104 letter confirming that the utility will adopt the new foul water connection.

If the works are not for a new water connection, then we will need a full works description and confirmation of adoption by the relevant utility in the form of a letter or email if applicable.

3 What next?

Once we receive your email, we will provide details of how to apply for a Section 50 licence.

4 Pay the fee

If approved, a licence will be issued and an invoice emailed to you which can be paid online.

The fee is £586.00.

Last updated:
25 March 2021
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.