Dropped kerbs (or crossovers) for driveways licence

Apply for a dropped kerb licence to access your drive.

1 Overview

A dropped kerb (or vehicle crossover) is the dipped or lowered kerb that allows you to access your driveway from the road by driving across the pavement.

A licence is required to create a dropped kerb, or widen an existing one, in front of your drive or hardstanding.

It is an offence to drive across a footway to access your property without a legally constructed dropped kerb. This is because it may cause damage to the footway or the services (gas, electric, water) underneath.

Before construction of the dropped kerb can start the following steps need to be followed:

  1. Check to see if you need planning permission from your local district/borough council.
  2. Seek approval from us. If approved, the approval is valid for six months.
  3. Choose a contractor - we recommend you get at least three written quotes.
  4. Your chosen contractor applies to us for a licence to construct the dropped kerb.
  5. The contractor notifies us when the works will commence.
  6. Construction starts and a highway officer inspects the construction during and after completion.

2 Costs

The licence fee is £379.10 per dwelling. This fee is not subject to VAT.

Your contractor will pay this fee. They will then include this in their invoice to you for the total cost of undertaking the works. 

Costs for construction vary from £1,000 to £4,000 depending on the type and scale of the project.

3 Before you apply

Before you apply you should complete the following actions:

  1. Find the classification of your road and whether it is maintained by us.
  2. Contact your local district or borough council to see if you need to apply for planning permission for a dropped kerb to be created outside your property. This is because it will alter the frontage or appearance of your property and will depend on the classification of road you live in. Use the vehicle crossing guidance document below for more information.
  3. Read the vehicle crossing guidance document to check if you are eligible. This will help you determine whether your application is likely to be successful.
Vehicle crossing guidance (PDF, 417KB)

4 Apply for approval

Once you have received planning permission or advice from your local district or borough council, complete the following form:

Vehicle crossover (dropped kerb) construction application form

Several documents need to be uploaded with this application. If you do not have the facility to scan documents your local library will be able to help.

A highway officer will carry out a site evaluation to check the suitability of the location and, if approved, a vehicular crossover pack will be sent to you. 

Please note: All applications have a 6 months expiry date. After this date you will need to reapply.

If your application is refused, we will write to you giving the reason why. The County Council's decision is final. Information about criteria used to assess applications is in the vehicle crossing guidance document on our Before you apply page.

5 Choose a contractor

Once your licence is approved you need to choose a contractor and they must:

  • have public liability insurance to the value of £10 million 
  • be accredited under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 to carry out work on the highway.

Below is a list of contractors that meet the minimum liability insurance requirements and New Roads and Street Works Act qualification. There are other contractors who may also meet these standards.

We recommend that you get multiple written quotes from contractors.

6 Contractors licence

The contractor must apply for a licence to build the crossover by completing our online form.

Vehicle crossover (dropped kerb) contractor's application form

If the contractor's licence is approved it will be issued and construction can begin. The contractor should then issue you with a copy of the licence to retain as proof of permission to the construction of the crossover. This may be required if you wish to sell the property.

Your contractor will be mailed an invoice for the fee, which they can pay online.

7 When can the work start

Your contractor can start work once they have been issued with the licence. They must notify us of the start date for the dropped kerb.

Once the work is complete a highway officer will carry out an inspection and the two-year guarantee period begins.

Last updated:
11 June 2021
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.