Release date: 6 November 2018
Planned essential testing is being carried out by West Sussex County Council on various online systems this weekend.
The programme of tests will begin at 5.00pm on Friday 9 November, with all systems expected to be up and running again as normal by 7.00am on Monday 12 November.
The exercise will allow the County Council to test its back-up and resilience plans for various Information Technology systems, to ensure that if the systems were to go down, they can be up and running again as quickly as possible.
Services that will be affected this weekend:
- Main website www.westsussex.gov.uk. This will be unavailable for the whole weekend. Although the website will remain live until 7.00pm on Friday, various forms and apps available on the website will be switched off from 5.00pm and won’t be live again until Monday morning
- Library customers will not be able to access the online catalogue but will be able to renew books in person at libraries on Saturday
- Public internet access, including public Wi-Fi and printing facilities at libraries will not be available. No library items are due for return over this weekend
- Visitors to the County Record Office in Orchard Street will not be able to use our public access computers to access the internet, including access to the Ancestry and Find My Past websites or the search online facility
West Sussex County Council’s Cabinet Member for Corporate Relations, Bob Lanzer, said: “This test is crucial to ensuring our IT services remain resilient if there are ever any problems.
“While we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause residents over the weekend, we have made sure our emergency numbers remain up and running should people need to contact us urgently.”
Residents are encouraged to use the emergency contact telephone numbers below if they require assistance this weekend:
- Children’s Social Care Emergencies out of office hours: 07590 001433 (Note: only for use this weekend as an alternative to the normal out of hours number)
- Adults Social Care Emergencies: 01243 642121
- Mental Health Act Assessment (for all age groups): 01903 843239
- Highways: 01243 642105
- Street Lighting: 0800 0482435
In absence of the main website, key information will also be available online at the following address - http://westsussexcountycouncil.blogspot.co.uk.