This summer sharing your favourite cycling and walking routes across West Sussex could see you win prizes.
In a brand new campaign for August, West Sussex County Council is encouraging people to get out and about across the county on foot or on their bikes – and then tell everyone else all about it.
The aim is to gather as many stories and pictures as possible which will be used to highlight all that West Sussex has to offer, encouraging more people to get out and enjoy what is on their doorstep.
Every week throughout August we’ll be giving away great prizes to lucky winners who share their pictures and stories with us – and all entrants will be included in a free draw to win a Garmin Edge Touring Cycle GPS from South Downs Bikes, or a £300 voucher to spend in store at Giant Shoreham.
Weekly prizes on offer include vouchers to spend in local coffee houses, lunch for two, afternoon tea, a coffee maker and beans, two course dinner with wine, a special lunch, and free hire of a tandem for a day.
Louise Goldsmith, Leader of West Sussex County Council, said: “Is there anywhere more beautiful than West Sussex? We’ve got it all – from rolling countryside, miles of beautiful unspoilt coastlines, historic hamlets and fabulous food and drink. We want August to be the month that as many people as possible get out there and enjoy it.
“Apart from the clear health benefits of walking and cycling and generally being outdoors, we want to showcase West Sussex and all it has to offer.
“Encouraging more people to come and visit the county, bring their families, maybe stay for a weekend, will help our local traders and have a really good impact on our local economy. And, let’s face it, when you’ve visited West Sussex once, the chances are you’ll return year after year.”
Louise added: “We know that the greatest ambassadors of West Sussex are our residents, they’re out enjoying everything that the county has to offer day after day. With this new campaign we’re asking people to share their favourite walking and cycling routes with each other so they’re aware of it too.”
If you want inspiration about where to head to, visit www.west-sussex-weekends.com for walking and cycling routes– as well as stories from residents and visitors sharing their favourite spots, and places to stop off and refuel.
People who share their pictures and stories will entered into a free prize draw, and many of them will be added to the `stories’ section of the website.
It’s simple to share your adventures and have a chance to win –
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
1. In at least 150 words, a description of your route, some of its key features, places to stop off or things to look out for, and why it is one of your favourites.
2. A picture or a few pictures of you on the route (selfies are fine)
3. Your name and a few words about yourself
If you can include a map of the route, a gpx file, or a link to the route e.g. on Strava we’d really appreciate it, but this is not a requirement to be entered into the prize draws.Full details of how to enter, terms and conditions on our website www.west-sussex-weekends.com/competition
Picture shows Phil Gray, keen mountain biker.
Weekly prize draws:
Week 1 (open to all entries received by midnight on Sunday 9 August 2015)
• Garton’s Coffee House, Midhurst - £20 voucher to spend in the café
• Alexander House Hotel and Utopia Spa, East Grinstead – Afternoon Tea for Two
Week 2 (open to all entries received by midnight on Sunday 16 August 2015)
• Stan’s Bike Shack, Partridge Green – Lunch for two, a Stan’s T-shirt, Aeropress coffee maker and coffee beans
• Slindon Forge – Afternoon tea for four
Week 3 (open to all entries received by midnight on Sunday 30 August 2015)
• The Barley Mow, Walderton – Two course meal for two with a glass of wine any Wednesday evening.
• Southwater Cycles, near Billingshurst – Day’s free tandem hire
Week 4 (open to all entries received by midnight on Friday 4 September 2015)
• The Castle Inn Hotel, Bramber – Two course lunch for two
• The Exclusive Cake Shop and Vintage Tea Rooms – Cream Tea for Two in Midhurst or Chichester
• The Hungry Guest – Lunch for 2 up to a value of £40 (Monday – Friday only)
Final prize draw (open to all entries received by midnight on Friday 4 September 2015)
• Giant Shoreham - £300 voucher to spend in store
• South Downs Bikes - Garmin Edge Touring Cycle GPS