A return for West Sussex County Council’s successful flooding scheme Operation Watershed has been proposed.
Operation Watershed 3 could see £500,000 made available for communities in West Sussex to bid for to help prepare against flooding – if it gets approved at the Full Council meeting on February 19.
Further details will be announced at a later date.
The County Council wishes to revive Operation Watershed after being reminded of the serious flooding issues experienced elsewhere in the country.
Once again communities would get the chance to bid for help with projects such as ditch clearances, digging new drainage channels, or fixing culverts.
They make a commitment to maintain and monitor them in return.
County Council Leader Louise Goldsmith said: “We’ve all seen the scenes in Cumbria and the north of England which reminds us of the serious flooding in West Sussex in 2012 and 2013.
“Operation Watershed was launched afterwards to help communities to resolve localised flooding in their area.
“This has been so successful and appreciated by many but there is so much more to do which is why I am delighted that we have found the money to introduce Operation Watershed 3.
“We are ever vigilant to the threat of flooding and this is why we want to set aside valuable resources this year to continue this important scheme.”
Previously, Operation Watershed ran between 2013 and 2015.
· Helped 287 flooding projects in West Sussex;
· Allocated £2.35m in grants;
Louise added: “Operation Watershed has a successful track record in making West Sussex communities resilient against flooding.
“People have told us how much safer and better prepared they feel when heavy rain falls.
“We want this to continue in West Sussex.”