It’s Business Fire Safety Week and Trading Standards are keen to support employers and staff through two online training packages.
Both courses are supported with training certificates and can be taken anywhere with an internet connection at a time and place to suit.
Those who complete the course will:
• Be aware of the key fire safety legislation
• Know what the ‘Fire Triangle’ is
• Know the basics of fire detection and warning systems, plus how to use and react to them
• Understand the key factors for evacuation if there is a fire
• Know about the types of fire that can develop, and what type of extinguishers can be used on them
• Be aware of what precautions can be taken to minimise the risk of fire
The firework season features heavily in some businesses’ plans, so West Sussex Trading Standards are keen to promote safety messages for the sake of employers, staff and customers.
In preparation for the firework season, Trading Standards would also recommend the Storing and Selling Fireworks Safely and Legally online training package.
Those who complete this course will be able to:
• Identify the risks behind incorrect firework handling and storing
• Recognise how fireworks that are legal to sell should be labelled
• Outline the legal requirements for storing and selling fireworks
• Identify which fireworks cannot be supplied to the public
• Demonstrate the ability to ensure the safety of the shop owner, staff and customers when handling or storing fireworks
The courses each cost £15, plus VAT, and are available online here
Councillor Debbie Kennard, Cabinet Member for Safer and Stronger Communities, said: “This is just one way the council is helping businesses – this time, with competitively-priced courses that help local employers to work effectively in promoting fire safety in the community.”
Further fire safety advice and guidance is available online here
You can keep up-to-date with current Fire Safety events on Twitter: @WSFRSFireSafety