Release date: 18 March 2019
A major highway improvement scheme starts soon in Broadbridge Heath.
The project, costing about £2million, will provide new facilities for both pedestrians and cyclists, and manage through-traffic (from the C622) on the A264, A281 and A24, which currently uses the old bypass. It will also help reduce traffic through Broadbridge Heath village and includes:
• alterations to the Newbridge roundabout to restrict access into Broadbridge Heath village from the A281;
• re-routing the Billingshurst Road along a new connector road to link it with a narrowed C622;
• new shared footways/cycleways and improved crossing facilities at Newbridge roundabout;
• a new off-road shared route linking Newbridge roundabout along the wide grass verge to the Tesco roundabout;
• a new off-road shared route linking Tesco roundabout to A24 Farthings Hill, which will convert lane one of the existing dual carriageway to a raised footway/cycleway;
• changes to lane markings on the dual carriageway link between the A24 Farthings Hill junction and the Tesco roundabout;
• cycle and footway improvements to the A24 Farthings Hill roundabout, including the introduction of traffic signal 'toucan' crossings and raised south bridge parapet for a cycle route upgrade.
Preparations started this month ahead of the main construction phase. Throughout March, utility diversions and bridge parapet alterations are taking place at Newbridge Roundabout, A24 Farthings Hill and Wickhurst Lane. Some traffic management will be needed for the safety of the workforce but there should be minimal traffic disruption.
Subject to unknown factors, such as extreme weather, the main construction works are due to start in early April and last until the autumn. The contractor for the scheme is Jackson Civil Engineering.
At the same time as our works, there will continue to be construction works at the Abbey Developments housing site on the corner of the C622 Broadbridge Way and A281 Five Oaks Road and at Countryside Properties’ new Neighbourhood Centre.
The C622 will be closed from early April so the highway works can go ahead and to prepare for the downgrading of the C622 Broadbridge Way at the Neighbourhood Centre. The closure will also include the section of Billingshurst Road between Shelley Drive and Newbridge Roundabout to control through traffic entering the village, although bus access will be maintained through the works.
Details of the main closure, traffic management layouts (including any night-time closures) and works schedule will be made available through the county council's website on Broadbridge Heath major highways improvements.
The scheme is being funded through developer contributions from the West of Horsham housing area.