Release date: 7 August 2018
Local councils in West Sussex have signed a ground-breaking deal that will see a number of major regeneration projects deliver economic growth across the Arun region.
Louise Goldsmith, the Leader of West Sussex County Council and Gillian Brown, Leader of Arun District Council met on Friday 3 August to sign the Arun Growth Deal. The deal is a partnership pledge made between the County Council and Arun District Council. It will deliver a tailor-made plan for growth across the Bognor Regis, Littlehampton and Arundel area. The plan focuses on a number of priority projects that aim to create jobs, attract business investment, provide new homes and improve infrastructure.
The key projects include:
- Regis Centre Site, Bognor Regis – drive forward the redevelopment of this key seafront site.
- Hothamton Car Park, Bognor Regis - development of some commercial, residential and a new community amenity at this strategic location in the town.
- Regeneration of Littlehampton town centre and seafront.
- River Arun Cycleway – delivering a leisure orientated cycleway along the river bank between Arundel and Littlehampton.
- Road improvements to the A29, A284/A259 and the Arundel bypass
Leader of West Sussex County Council, Louise Goldsmith, said: “Signing this deal is a great step forward for the future of the Arun district. The ambitious plans are set to deliver real tangible benefits for residents and the local economy.
“There is huge potential to generate economic prosperity in the Arun area. What’s needed now are the components to unlock that potential and we believe this growth programme will deliver incredible opportunities for local people and the business community. Both councils are fully committed to developing the right environment to create jobs, provide new homes, improve vital transport links and faster communications.”
Councillor Gillian Brown, Leader of Arun District Council, said: ‘’We are delighted to be working with West Sussex County Council on the delivery of our priority economic growth projects. Arun has so much to offer businesses and investors and our regeneration proposals will ensure that the local economy will continue to grow and prosper.”