Release date: 3 May 2016
Gardening, therapy dogs and colouring are just a few of the activities on offer at West Sussex libraries during Mental Health Awareness week.
Running from 16 to 22 May 2016, this year’s theme of ‘Relationships’ is being explored by local libraries who are hoping to raise awareness of mental health issues.
There are around 1 in 4 adults and 1 in 10 children affected by mental health problems.
Monday 16 May
• Bognor Library from 2pm to 4pm: Support organisations will be providing information and advice and brightening up the library’s garden. People will be planting flowers in the library’s soon-to-be developed community garden at 3pm whilst organisations are on hand to answer questions including Coastal West Sussex Mind, Bognor Regis Library, Carers’ Support West Sussex, Aldingbourne Trust, Alzheimer’s Society, Frame of Mind, Cross Roads Care and Age UK Laburnum Centre.
Tuesday 17 May
• Findon Valley Library from 2pm to 3.30pm: Relax with Colouring. The first of a number of pop-up sessions throughout May where people are invited to enjoy this peaceful pastime to reduce stress and be creative. All materials provided.
• Broadfield Library from 11am to 1pm: Coffee Morning with a Sussex Caring Pets Dog alongside a display of Crawley old & new photos by Jeff Pitcher.
Wednesday 18 May
• Worthing Library at 2pm: A free interactive, bitesize course on how complementary therapies can aid positive mental wellbeing by Sharon Blakeley from Coastal West Sussex Mind and Carers Support West Sussex. Aromatherapy, seated acupressure massage, reiki and mindfulness will be discussed as well as information on how to access them safely and effectively. Spaces are strictly limited so please book early.
Thursday 19 May
• Horsham Library from 2pm to 4pm: A Chinese Wellbeing Workshop will explore Chinese Wellbeing practices such as Meridian Massage, Food and Health, Tai Chi and Qigong.
• Crawley Library from 11am to 1pm: Mitch, the Pets as Therapy Dog (PAT) dog, will be visiting Crawley Library during one of our popular board games sessions.
Friday 20 May
• Worthing Library at 12.30pm: ‘Relationships through Poetry’ recital by The Roundabout Poets. At this free drop-in event people can bring along a much-loved poem or short prose to share, read from their own work or just listen to others.
• Worthing Library at 2pm: A free ‘Address Your Stress’ workshop will be led by family-run Free Your Mind Therapies. This is an opportunity to learn about different ways of coping with stress, the importance of learning to listen to your body, being aware of what your mind is telling you, and how to take steps to improve your overall health. There will also be brief demonstrations of Mindfulness and Tapping - methods of reducing stress. Tickets must be booked in advance via Worthing Library.
For further information on events at your local West Sussex library visit www.westsussex.gov.uk/libraryevents. Or to find out more about mental health and the support available visit www.connecttosupport.org.