Release date: 24 August 2021
West Sussex homeowners are being offered the chance to reduce their carbon emissions and generate clean energy at home by installing solar panels.
Solar Together Sussex offers high-quality solar panels and battery storage to people across the county. It’s a group-buying scheme, which brings Sussex's households together to get high-quality solar panels at a competitive price.
The scheme reopens after more than 1,000 local households registered for the first round in 2020.
Residents who have already invested in solar panels can opt for ‘retrofit’ battery storage to get more from the renewable energy they generate and increase their independence from the grid.
The eco-friendly initiative is run in partnership with councils across Sussex and iChoosr, who are experts in group purchasing.
Cllr Deborah Urquhart, Cabinet Member for Energy and Climate Change, said: “Generating and using more clean, renewable energy is vital as we work to reduce our carbon emissions and impact on the environment.
“We hope that this latest Solar Together Sussex round will give even more residents who have thought about installing solar panels the confidence to take the next step.
“The scheme offers them a straightforward process and the confidence of dealing with pre-vetted installers who can offer a high-quality installation at a good price.”
Households will be able to register free of charge for Solar Together Sussex between 23rd August and 28th September 2021. The process is as follows:
- Registration: The homeowner registers their interest in the scheme for free at www.solartogether.co.uk/westsussex. They provide some basic information about their roof, such as size and orientation.
- Auction: A supplier ‘auction’ will be held on 28 September when approved solar installers will bid to supply solar panels to all the households who have registered their interest, with the most competitive bid winning. The more people that register, the better the deal should be for each household
- Personal recommendation: From the start of October, those who have signed up will be emailed a personal recommendation and quote from the winning supplier. This is based on the roof details given during registration.
- Decision: Those who have signed up to the scheme will then need to decide if they want to accept the recommendation and quote. There is no obligation to continue. They will have until 26 November to decide.
- Installation: If the recommendation and quote is accepted, the winning supplier will be in contact to survey the roof and set an installation date.
Telephone and email support will be available throughout the process.
To find out more, visit the Solar Together Sussex website.