Trading Standards teams are inspecting shops to check they are storing and selling fireworks safely and legally.
To help businesses do this correctly, West Sussex Trading Standards has teamed up with the Chartered Trading Standards Institute to offer a discount on the ‘Storing and Selling Fireworks Safely and Legally’ online course.
This Institute-approved course helps businesses and staff:
• Identify the risks behind incorrect firework handling and storage
• Outline the actions taken in response to serious firework offences
• Recognise how fireworks that are legal to sell should be labelled
• Outline the legal requirements for storing and selling fireworks
• Identify which fireworks cannot be supplied to the general public
• Demonstrate the ability to ensure the safety of the business owner, staff and customers when handling or storing fireworks.
Without the discount, the course costs £15. It can be taken online and is supported with an electronic certificate to demonstrate the commitment to on-going staff training. Businesses can use “FIREWORKS20” in the promotional box when purchasing the course at please click here
For details of other courses, including “Prevention of Underage Sales”, please click here
Debbie Kennard, Cabinet Member for Stronger, Safer Communities, said: “Fireworks can bring excitement and joy to the public and good profits for those businesses who sell them but, incorrectly stored, they pose a significant fire and explosion risk. We need businesses to commit to storing and selling fireworks responsibly.”
For more information on other county council initiatives to support businesses, such as Buy with Confidence and Business Companion, please click here