Release date: 3 March 2021
Safety improvement work is due to start next week to upgrade the existing traffic signals junction which intersects Felpham Road, Felpham Way and Downview Road, Felpham.
The improvements, due to start on Monday 8 March, are being carried out to incorporate new cycling facilities within the existing signals and road surface, which will improve safety for cyclists using the route.
The whole site will be under temporary lights, as well as having prohibited movements and closure of the parking bays outside the shops on Felpham Road while the works take place.
The safety improvement works include:
- Resurfacing the road to apply green advanced cycle stopline boxes on all four of the stopline positions at the junction, including the proposed cycle lane approaching the junction on the southern arm.
- Applying new road markings and refreshing some existing road markings in proximity to the junction, including re-marking the parking bays outside of “The Corner” shop.
- Installation of new traffic signal equipment for the detection of cyclists and low-level traffic signal heads for cyclists.
- Software upgrades to the junction controller which will include pre-start times for cyclists at the junction and the installation of live streaming cameras to enable improved remote monitoring of the site.
- Reduction of the southern arm from a two-lane approach to a single lane approach to allow the installation of a lead-in cycle lane.
Due to the extent of the works and the traffic management required, delays are likely and road users are encouraged to find alternate routes where possible, especially during peak times.
Pedestrian movements may also be affected whilst the work is ongoing, however there will be footway access at all times.
The works are expected to run for two weeks and are planned to be completed by Friday 19 March (dependent on weather conditions and other external factors).
The scheme will cost approximately £60,000 and is part of continuing efforts to improve the highway network across the county.