Report doorstep callers
How to report
If a doorstep caller is at your home now or has recently
contacted you should contact Citizens Advice Consumer Service
or report to us on our online form.
What are doorstep callers?
Unscrupulous traders will often target the elderly, isolated
householders, people living alone and will try and engage in
conversation with the following pattern:
- They will normally cold-call offering to carry out work for the
householder at a low price and will often start work without
permission, on the basis that they had been asked for a
- Once work has begun, the price goes up rapidly and extra work
is claimed to be required in order to complete the job.
- Traders may be verbally aggressive to pressure householder into
paying or agreeing to work.
- They may use confusion tactics over quotes and pricing in order
to make householders doubt what they thought they had
agreed. Typically, there is nothing in writing. Often they
will fail to provide the required notice detailing cancellation
rights which is a criminal offence.
- They will often escort householders to the bank to make cash
What can I do to avoid being
- Keep your front and back doors secure at all times.
- If someone comes to your door, observe this code:
- Stop: Are you expecting anybody? Do they have
- Chain: Secure the door bar or chain before
opening the door.
- Check: Ask for and double check the caller's
- If they offer to do work on your property say "no thanks" and
shut the door.
- Do not keep large sums of money at home.
Request a 'No cold calling' pack
An information pack is available on request which is designed to
create no cold-calling households.
The pack contains:
- A door or window sticker which, when displayed, makes it
clear to anybody calling at an individual property that
cold-callers are not welcome and that the residents within will not
deal with them at the door. Callers who ignore this may be
committing an offence under recently introduced consumer protection
- A leaflet giving general advice and tips on dealing
with doorstep cold-callers.
- Details of our Buy with Confidence scheme which helps you to
find a reputable trader. All members have been vetted and approved
by West Sussex Trading Standards.