Home Library Direct
If you cannot visit a library because of age, illness, disability, mobility problems or caring responsibilities, a volunteer can bring you books and audiobooks free of charge.
You can also access our online services such as reserving books and accessing our eBooks, eAudiobooks and eMagazines.Home library direct application form
Digital Library Plus home visits
This free service helps older and isolated people to use tablets at home.
If you would like gentle, tailored support to build your digital skills and find out the benefits of being online but are unable to access your library, we can visit you at home to offer help and support.
If you don’t own a tablet and would like to learn more, we can lend you a device free of charge.Digital Library Plus application form
Service for community locations
Our Select and Collect service enables community locations such as Care Homes, day care settings, village halls and other groups to borrow a maximum of 50 items for up to 10 weeks. There is no charge for this service. A named person from the organisation or setting acts as the cardholder and takes responsibility for managing the collection.
Please ask your local library for more information.
Services for visually impaired people
If you have a problem with your sight we offer:
- large print books in all libraries, available on request free of charge
- audiobooks in cassette, CD and MP3 format, available on request free of charge
- giant print and braille books for parents or children with visual impairment
- a selection of DVDs with audio description, for which there is a weekly hire charge
- books in braille through our inter-library loan service - the RNIB National Library Service also provides braille books free of charge to visually impaired people.
Find out more about our services for visually impaired people.
You can also obtain audiobooks from:
Services for deaf and hearing-impaired people
If you have a problem with your hearing we offer:
- books, DVDs and information on sign language and lip-reading
- hearing loops at most libraries
- DVDs in all libraries, most of which have subtitles - these can be requested free of charge but there is a small weekly hire charge.
Other organisations that can also help are:
If you would like more information please contact your local library
Library activities and events
Everyone is welcome at our regular activities and special events where our libraries offer an inclusive and relaxed environment. If you have any specific needs that might affect your experience of a particular activity or event, please contact your local library and we will endeavour to help you.