Home Library Direct
If you cannot visit a library because of age, illness, disability, mobility problems, caring responsibilities or other reasons, a volunteer can bring you books and audiobooks free of charge.
You can also access our online services such as reserving books and accessing our eBooks, eAudiobooks and eMagazines.Home library direct application form
Service for community locations
Our Select and Collect service enables community locations such as Care Homes, day care settings, village halls and other groups to borrow a maximum of 50 items for up to 10 weeks. There is no charge for this service. A named person from the organisation or setting acts as the cardholder and takes responsibility for managing the collection.
Please ask your local library for more information.
Services for visually impaired people
If you have a problem with your sight we offer:
- large print books in all libraries, available on request free of charge
- audiobooks in cassette, CD and MP3 format, available on request free of charge
- giant print and braille books for parents or children with visual impairment
- DVDs, most of which have audio-description - these can be requested free of charge but there is a small weekly hire charge
- books in braille through our inter-library loan service - the RNIB library also provides braille books free of charge to visually impaired people
- our eLibrary has eBooks where you can change the size of the font on your device and eAudiobooks which can be borrowed and downloaded free of charge.
Find out more about our services for visually impaired people.
You can also obtain audiobooks from:
Services for deaf and hearing-impaired people
If you have a problem with your hearing we offer:
- books, DVDs and information on sign language and lip-reading
- DVDs in all libraries, most of which have subtitles - these can be requested free of charge but there is a small weekly hire charge.
Other organisations that can also help are:
If you would like more information please contact your local library.
Library activities and events
Everyone is welcome at our regular activities and special events where our libraries offer an inclusive and relaxed environment. If you have any specific needs that might affect your experience of a particular activity or event, please contact your local library and we will endeavour to help you.