1 Libby - books, audiobooks, magazines and comics
Download the Libby app from your app store to read books, magazines and comics or listen to audiobooks on an electronic (e-) device:
For mobile devices, including tablets and smartphones
- Install the Libby app (available from all app stores using the links above).
- Use your West Sussex library card number and personal identification number (PIN) to register. If you've forgotten it, find out how to reset your PIN.
- Search for and download your choices.
Kindle Fire tablets can access our eLibrary through the Libby website.
For laptops, PCs, Macs and Linux users
Follow the prompts to sign into Libby. You will need your library card number and PIN to register.
eBooks and eAudiobooks
Choose from a wide range of bestsellers, fiction, non-fiction, children’s books and more, available for free.
You can borrow up to 20 books or audiobooks at a time via Libby. Some titles may need to be reserved. You will receive an email once your reservation is available.
You can renew the books or audiobooks if they have not been reserved. Loans expire automatically after 21 days, so there are no late charges.
eMagazines and eComics
We have a wide range of magazines and comics to choose from, also available for free with Libby.
You can read an unlimited amount of these with no waiting lists.
- Kindle eReaders (for example, Kindle Paperwhite) are incompatible with our library eBooks
- eReaders must be used with a PC, Mac or laptop to enable eBooks to be downloaded.
Note: The video below uses YouTube's automated captions, which we have checked for accuracy.
2 Pressreader - newspapers
PressReader provides over 7,000 UK and international digital newspapers and magazines for free to read or listen to on an electronic (e-) device. Publications are from over 100 countries and in 60 languages.
Articles can be translated into 18 languages and you can listen to the news by using the audio narration function.
Download PressReader from your app store:
For mobile devices including tablets, smartphones and Kindle Fires
- Download the free PressReader app from your app store (links above).
- Select 'Sign in' in the app.
- Select the yellow library card icon and enter 'West Sussex' in the search box to select your library authority.
- Enter your library card number.
For laptops, PCs and Macs
- Select 'Sign in' on the PressReader website.
- Select the library or group option, then enter 'West Sussex' in the search box to select your library authority.
- Enter your library card number and PIN.
- If you've forgotten it, find out how to reset your PIN.
A pop up will confirm that you can read newspapers online or download them to read offline free of charge for 30 days on your device.
At the end of the 30 days, simply sign out and back in again with your library card number to reactivate your free access for a further 30 days. Reactivate as many times as you wish! This applies to both laptop and smart device access.
PressReader is best viewed with the latest browser versions of Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Google Chrome or Safari.
3 Downloading eBooks on a Nook or Kobo eReader
If you have an Adobe-compatible eReader (like a NOOK or Kobo), you can download Libby books on a computer, then use Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) to transfer them to your device.
- Download Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) to your PC, laptop or Mac.
- Obtain an Adobe ID and then authorise ADE.
- On a computer, go to libbyapp.com in your browser. Find West Sussex Libraries and add your card number.
- Choose and borrow a book.
- Follow the instructions to download your book to your eReader.
The newer range of Kobo eReaders will let you borrow books directly from our Library Catalogue. Learn how to borrow OverDrive ebooks on your Kobo eReader.
4 Help accessing our eProducts
We have produced helpsheets to get you started.
If you need more help with books, audiobooks, magazines and comics for electronic (e-) devices, visit the Libby Help website. Here you'll find lots of helpful guides including information about:
If you would like help or support with using our eBooks, send a brief description of the help you need to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your phone number and we will contact you as soon as we can.
For technical help on specific devices, contact Libby directly.
For PressReader support, email email@example.com.