Glen Vue is a specialist day centre in the centre of East Grinstead. It provides a wide range of activities for adults with a physical, sensory or memory impairment, or an acquired brain injury.
The centre is seeking a volunteer to carry out relief receptionist duties, greeting customers as they arrive and assisting staff with light clerical duties when regular volunteer receptionists are unavailable due to sickness or holiday commitments.
How to apply
You can apply using our online form.Apply online
Alternatively you can download a version of our application form which you can complete and then email or post to us.Application form (Word, 47KB)
Email or post your completed application form to:
- Good phone manner, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Confidence when responding to members of the public and other organisations.
- Ability to empathise with day centre customers who have complex needs.
- Ability to work alongside day centre staff and other volunteers.
- Happy to engage with a variety of people.
- Demonstrates patience and understanding.
- Observant and alert.
Details of duties
- Answering the phone and forwarding calls to staff.
- Engaging with customers and members of the public who enter the building, answering their enquiries or referring them to staff as appropriate.
- Signing the customers in and out and making sure all visitors sign in and out.
- Ongoing observation of the movements of vulnerable customers around the centre.
- Assisting the staff with additional light clerical or administrative tasks as agreed and appropriate.
- Collecting money from customers (optional, and only relevant during morning sessions).
Regularity of duties
The centre is open five days a week. Morning sessions run from 9.30am-1.00pm and afternoon sessions run from 1.00pm-4.30pm. Duties would, whenever possible, be planned in advance, but there may be occasions when you are asked to volunteer at short notice.
Guidance and support
Volunteers will receive on-going guidance and support from an assigned member of staff, as well as regular three monthly supervision sessions. They may also have a mentor assigned from the staff team if they desire.
Volunteers will receive a formal introductory session before beginning their role. Appropriate additional training will also be available.
Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS)
Volunteers will only be required to undertake a DBS check if they elect to collect money from customers as part of their duties during morning sessions.
Volunteers will be required to provide two references before undertaking the role.
Duties such as collection of money from customers will be discussed at interview before beginning the role.