Glen Vue is a specialist day centre in the centre of East Grinstead. It provides a wide range of activities for adults with a physical, sensory or memory impairment, or an acquired brain injury.
The centre is seeking volunteers to assist day centre staff on Mondays, by making hot and cold soft drinks for its customers and assisting with clearing up. Volunteers would also help to monitor the customers and support the staff in the running of activities, including arts and crafts, gentle exercise, ball games and quizzes etc.
How to apply
You can apply using our online form.Apply online
Alternatively you can download a version of our application form which you can complete and send to us.Application form (Word, 47KB)
Email or post your completed application form to:
- Ability to empathise and chat with day centre customers who have complex needs.
- Consideration and patience for those who struggle to communicate their needs.
- Ability to work alongside other volunteers and day centre staff and follow their instructions.
- Ability to make a selection of hot and cold drinks for a large group of people.
- Ability to clear away, tidy drinks area and use a dishwasher safely and economically.
- Calm, relaxed and cheerful.
- Enjoys interacting with customers, staff and other volunteers.
- Demonstrates patience and understanding.
- Confident in making and giving out a large number of drinks.
- Give attention to the resources of the day centre and committed to assisting the staff in keeping down costs.
- Observant and quick to pass on any potential problems to the staff.
Details of duties
Making a selection of drinks, serving and chatting with customers, clearing away, loading and unloading a dishwasher, chatting with customers and supporting staff as appropriate.
Regularity of duties
Preparing and serving refreshments and supporting day centre activities on Monday mornings and/or afternoons. The morning session runs from 9.30am-12.30pm. The afternoon session runs from 1.00pm-3.30pm. Volunteers may choose one or both sessions by arrangement.
Guidance and support
Volunteers will receive on-going guidance and support from an assigned member of staff (Community Connector), as well as regular three-monthly supervision sessions. They may also have a mentor assigned from the team of staff if desired.
Volunteers will receive a formal introductory session before beginning their role. Appropriate additional training will also be available as required.
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
Volunteers will not be required to have a DBS check before starting.
Volunteers will be required to provide two references before undertaking the role.