Glebelands is a day centre in Shoreham-by-Sea and provides a wide range of activities for people who have a physical, sensory or memory impairment and people with an acquired brain injury.
The centre is seeking a volunteer/volunteers to carry out receptionist duties, greeting customers as they arrive and assisting staff with light clerical duties.
How to apply
Please complete the form below to apply for this role.Application form (Word, 62KB)
Email or post your completed application form to:
Glebelands Day Centre
To carry out receptionist duties at the centre, greeting customers as they arrive and assisting staff with light clerical duties.
- Good phone manner.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Confidence in responding to members of the public and other organisations.
- Ability to empathise with day centre customers who have complex needs.
- Ability to work alongside day centre staff and other volunteers.
- Happy to engage with a variety of people.
- Demonstrates patience and understanding.
- Commitment to equality.
- Observant and alert.
Details of duties
- Answering the phone, taking messages and forwarding calls to staff.
- Engaging with customers and members of the public who enter the building and answering their enquiries or referring them to staff as appropriate.
- Signing the customers in and out and ensuring all visitors sign in and out.
- Ongoing observation of the movements of vulnerable customers around the centre.
- Assisting the staff with additional light clerical or administrative tasks as agreed and appropriate.
- Posting mail.
Regularity of duties
Monday–Friday afternoons and occasional mornings, with a commitment to one half day per week as a minimum.
Guidance and support
Volunteers will receive ongoing guidance and support from an assigned member of staff, as well as regular three-monthly supervision sessions. They may also have a mentor assigned from the staff team if desired.
Volunteers will receive a formal introductory session before beginning their role. Appropriate additional training will also be available.
Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS)
Volunteers will not be required to undertake a DBS check.
Volunteers will be required to provide two references prior to undertaking the role.