We are looking for a volunteer (or volunteers playing together) to provide light musical entertainment by playing an instrument of their choice and/or singing, to provide a stimulating and engaging environment for those attending the centre.
The Laurels is a specialist day centre in Rustington providing a wide range of activities for adults with a physical, sensory or memory impairment, or an acquired brain injury.
How to apply
You can apply using our online form.Apply online
Alternatively you can download a version of our application form which you can complete and send to us.Application form (Word, 47KB)
Send your completed application form to:
The Laurels day centre
- Play an instrument or sing to a small group of adults.
- Plan a set which will engage those attending the centre.
- Empathise with day centre customers who have complex needs.
- Work alongside day centre staff and other volunteers.
- Passionate and creative about performing music.
- Enjoys entertaining people.
- Happy to play music which adults attending the centre can relate to.
- Demonstrates patience and understanding.
Details of duties
- Play a keyboard, guitar or other instrument, or sing (please note, the centre has a piano but volunteers would need to bring any other instruments with them).
- Arriving prepared to play a set.
Regularity of duties
Performing music sessions at least once a month, fortnightly or weekly as appropriate.
Guidance and support
Volunteers will receive ongoing guidance and support from an assigned member of staff, as well as regular 3-monthly supervision sessions. They may also have a mentor assigned from the staff team, if they wish.
Training and equipment
Volunteers will receive a formal introductory session before beginning their role. Appropriate additional training will also be available as required.
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
Volunteers will not be required to have a DBS check before undertaking this role.
Volunteers will be required to provide two references before undertaking the role.