Periodical and magazine collections
We have a wide range of local periodicals and magazines including:
- Sussex Archaeological Collections - which cover archaeology, local history and genealogy. A complete collection of annual volumes from 1848 is held at every major library (Bognor Regis, Burgess Hill, Chichester, Crawley, East Grinstead, Horsham and Shoreham).
- Sussex County Magazine - which covers local history, agriculture and countryside, customs, folklore, literature, music and drama. Monthly issues, 1926-1956, are available at every major library.
- Periodicals - which deal with the history of particular towns, especially Bognor Regis, Burgess Hill, Chichester, East Grinstead, Littlehampton, Midhurst, Petworth and Shoreham-by-Sea.
Other significant general titles useful for research include:
- Downs Country 1994+
- South Eastern Naturalist 1891 to 1952
- Sussex Agricultural Journal 1933 to 1957
- Sussex Family Historian 1973+
- Sussex History 1976 to 1991,
- Sussex Industrial History 1970+
- Sussex Life 1965+
- Sussex Wildlife 1970+
- Wealden Iron 1969+
- West Sussex History 1974+ (formerly West Sussex Archives Society Newsletter).
These items were intended to have a short life and include:
- leaflets and handbills
- posters and playbills
- theatre and other event programmes
- bus and train timetables and tickets
- sales catalogues and brochures
- school prospectuses
- business cards and membership tickets
- election material.
Please contact the relevant library to make an appointment to view its ephemera collection.