Details of over 20,000 local history books, dating from the 1640s to the present, can be found on our online catalogue. Many can be borrowed, while others are for reference only through certain libraries:
- Worthing library holds the largest collection of books on East and West Sussex and their towns. The collection includes rare works from the 17th and 18th centuries, literary works, biographies and dissertations.
- Chichester library holds all standard works on West Sussex and its towns as well as a collection about Chichester and the west of the county.
- Crawley library holds a collection of books and reports about Crawley, Gatwick and the surrounding area, plus many standard works on West Sussex.
Find and reserve library books using our online booklists:
Alternatively, you can download a pdf copy of these booklists under Supporting documents below.
Local history files
We have over 200 local history files in all libraries that introduce researchers to our wide range of resources. They contain photocopied extracts from printed sources and provide information about the history of towns and villages and about important features, such as Chanctonbury Ring, Cissbury and West Sussex rivers.
Find out more
- Find out how to request a book that we don't stock.
- View local history collections available through our Record Office.